IV/IM/SEVO Sedation/General Anesthesia
- You must have NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT the night prior to your surgery. This includes: gum, candy, and water (with the exception of a very small sip of water to take medications).
- Take all regularly prescribed medications with a very small sip of water unless otherwise instructed by the doctor, DO NOT take medications with anything other than water. If you have any questions regarding which medications you should take on the day of surgery, please call the office at least 24 hours in advance.
- You must arrange to have a responsible adult present in the office upon arrival. This person must remain in the office during your surgery and drive you home afterward. If this is not clearly and positively established prior to your surgery, your anesthetic will be cancelled. You cannot go home alone by taxi or bus.
- During your first 24-hours following surgery: you should make arrangements for a responsible adult to stay with you while you are recovering. You should not operate or drive any vehicle or operate machinery. You should not subject yourself to anything that may jeopardize your safety or the well being of others, as the medication given to you during anesthesia will decrease both your awareness and reflexes.
- Patients under age 18 must have a parent or legal guardian present at the time of surgery.
- Eat a light, easily digested meal the night before surgery and get plenty of rest. DO NOT drink any alcoholic beverages the night before surgery.
- Wear loose clothing with sleeves that can be pulled up past the elbow.
- Patients will be asked to remove contact lenses, glasses, and hearing aids.
- Patients MUST remove all facial and/or oral jewelry before leaving home. Please do not wear any jewelry.
- Patients MUST remove nail polish, gel or acrylics nails and refrain from wearing lipstick on the day of surgery.
- If you start to develop or have a cold, cough, fever, or any other acute illness please call the office to reschedule your surgery.
- In order to make your discharge as smooth as possible, the surgical fee will be collected before your surgery.
- Parents may walk their child into the treatment room and remain with them during the induction of anesthesia only. Parents will then be asked to wait in the reception area during the procedure, they will be notified immediately following surgery and will be able to sit with and comfort their child in the recovery room.
- Patients who arrive late may have their surgery cancelled.
- Please call the office at least 24 hours in advance if you are unable to keep your appointment.
- If you are given a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication, you need to have it filled at your pharmacy within 5 days; otherwise the pharmacy may not fill it. The surgeon will not write give you a second prescription for any reason.
DUE TO THE NATURE OF OUR SPECIALTY AND IN ORDER TO PROVIDE THE BEST CARE POSSIBLE FOR OUR PATIENTS, WE WILL NOT RESCHEDULE A MISSED SURGERY APPOINTMENT.
ANY VARIATION FROM THE ABOVE MAY CAUSE SURGERY TO BE CANCELED.